(See also Special Educational Needs)
Our school’s curriculum is all the planned activities that we organise in order to promote learning, and personal growth and development. It includes not only the formal requirements of the National Curriculum, but also the various extra-curricular activities that the school organises in order to enrich the children’s experience. It also includes the ‘hidden curriculum’ – what the children learn from the way they are treated and expected to behave. We want children to grow into positive, responsible people who can work and co-operate with others, while at the same time developing their knowledge and skills, in order to achieve their true potential.
We endorse the aspirations concerning curriculum that are set out in the DfE document Excellence and Enjoyment 2003, and we seek the highest standards of attainment for all our children. We also value the breadth of the curriculum that we provide. We aim to foster creativity in our children, and to help them become independent learners. Above all we believe in making learning fun.
Our school curriculum is underpinned by the values that we hold dear at our school. The curriculum is the means by which the school achieves its objective of educating children in the knowledge, skills and understanding that they need in order to lead fulfilling lives.
Our school is in full agreement with the values statement included in the introduction to the National Curriculum Handbook for Primary Teachers in England. These are the main values of our school, upon which we have based our curriculum.
- We value children’s uniqueness, we listen to the views of individual children, and we promote respect for diverse cultures.
- We value the spiritual and moral development of each person, as well as their intellectual and physical growth.
- We value the importance of each person in our community, and we organise our curriculum to promote inclusion, cooperation and understanding among all members of our community.
- We value the rights enjoyed by each person in our society. We respect each child in our school for who they are, and we treat them with fairness and honesty. We want to enable each person to be successful, and we provide equal opportunities for all our pupils.
- We will strive to meet the needs of all our children, and to ensure that we meet all statutory requirements regarding inclusion.
- We value our environment, and we want to teach our pupils, through our curriculum, how we should take care of the world, not only for ourselves, but also for future generations.